Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar March 6, 2013

 

It’s always a mistake when reading her poems to read too much into them, especially in thinking any of the most recent ones have anything to do with me, even when as in one of the most recent ones, the situation strongly resembles what we might have gone through.

I already pointed out how similar the language is in some of the recent poems to poems she emailed me a year ago.

My bruised ego, of course, would love to think that this and other of her most recent poems is a reflection of the past. But to think of it as anything more than coincidence is a mistake.

This, of course, raises the specter of a much more serious issue, which my old mythology professor, Dr. Thomas, would find immensely interesting. He was a Freudian, sloshing through people’s unconscious desires with hip boots and fishing tackle, determined to find the hidden meaning behind even the most trivial of things.

Why do we keep getting into the same situations, and why do we expect a different result?

I keep thinking back about the statement she blurted out in during one of our last staff meetings together last October when she said, “I don’t hate men; I love men. It’s just some men I hate.”

In looking at this current crop of poems, you can’t help wondering, if they are not one in the same, the men she hates hatched out of men she once loved,” and how she always manages to put herself in a position where love inevitably leads to hate, a cycle that almost always starts the same way, and comes to the same conclusion.

If I play a role in any of this, it is as a silent observer, she most likely knows is watching from afar, maybe even deliberately taunting, by suggesting in a passive-aggressive way: “see what you could have had,” although I suspect that’s taking it too far, my reading a series of random things and making connections that just aren’t valid.

The photo shoot may have been a coincidence (Dr. Thomas is rolling over in his grave), and the owner of our company simply saw what she did and wanted me to do it as well without any direct connection between me and her, despite the fact the shoot took place in the town I cover.

Her establishing a google+ account just after I did may well be coincidental as well – even though I suspect she keeps tabs on me and what I post, and since I’m posting things there, she may well have felt the need to see if I’m posting anything offensive.

It is on Google+ that I started posting my “bad art” after which she set up her Facebook art page with art that put mine to shame.

I no longer have access to her private Facebook account, which keeps her private conversations private, but – by blocking me – she loses access to what I might be posting on my page – a double edge sword.

All of this is speculation, perhaps a bit of my bruised ego making itself evident again, and as Freud once pointed out, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar – Dr. Thomas be damned.

 

   2012 menu


email to Al Sullivan

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The accidental thief

Waking up to Obama Wednesday, January 04, 2012

A crowning achievement March 12, 2013