On thin ice July 19, 2012

 

My big concern about meeting with the owners is that I was still not sure of her relationship to the male boss – although for weeks when we still talked, she spoke frequently about needing to get more money and her plans to ask him for a raise.

She asked me how she should approach him, and apparently made the same request of our former temporary boss.

Something kept her from approaching the owner several times, but apparently, she eventually did.

When still on speaking terms I texted her, asking if she had gotten the raise, and I received a single one response of “yes.”

An odd circumstance if true, since others with more elevated positions in the company had tried and failed, sometimes even encouraged afterwards to find other employment elsewhere.

This coupled with the open flirting I had seen going on between the two in the office, she once tapping him on the top of his bald held with her pad.

But our former temporary boss apparently believes she did not get the raise since he had been among those who had sought a raise himself and was refuted.

“You can’t squeeze anything out of that cheap son of a bitch,” he bitterly proclaimed.

But she had legitimate reasons for getting a raise, since she covered a number of towns well after a number of employees before her had not.

Perhaps her flirting with the boss was part of her campaign to get on his good graces.

All this made me less confident that I would get a fair hearing when the owners finally met with me, especially if they consulted with my former temporary boss, who may well be seeking to have me fired.

I hoped my account emailed to the owners would be enough to convince them of my innocence.

Then, shaking my confidence even more, the boss at the satellite office where I worked notified the owners that she would like to write for the beat I was writing for, and even hijacked a story I had already proposed, making it seem as if indeed, my days for the company were numbered.

As it turned out, they were not numbered.

When I met with the two bosses, they said the issue between me and her was personal, but I would have to continue on at the satellite office – as I had figured – to avoid further complications.

I agreed. I had no choice.

But I had the horrible feeling I still skated on thin ice and needed to make sure I did not do anything to draw their attention again in a negative way.

 

 2012 menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking control Aug. 2, 2012

Reflections of Coelho March 2, 2013

Forgiveness is not possible July 13, 2012