Somebody else June 19, 2012

  

My close female friend thinks this is a case of fatal attraction and warned me to keep my distance as much as possible.

But this is the same friend who thinks I’m heart-broken about her upcoming marriage, when I’m not.

Life is full of ironies, new situations mirroring those I have lived through in the past.

Back in college, I spilled my guts to another close female friend when I broke up with Suzanne, needing someone to give me comfort.

These days I more or less suck it up and take advice like this with whole lick of salt.

She – meaning the subject of my dismay – wasn’t in the office yesterday when I stopped in to drop off copy, leaving me with a strange mixture of relief and disappointment.

Not being in the same place at the same time is a blessing.

I remember when dating Suzanne, I had to share a table at the Great Falls Poetry Festival in Paterson with her ex-boyfriend, only a week after they broke up, knowing he knew I was with her, and I knew just how much pain he must have felt.

Fortunately, I do not have that issue now, caring very little about who she is with, who has become part of the select few she invites to her Cloud 9.  

I just want to be able to go to the office and not feel the intense waves of hatred emanating from her.

She is kinder in some ways that Suzanne was; she keeps all of her special people apart, in ignorance of each other, so there is no time any of them will sit at a table, pinning over their loss and being envious of the man or woman who replaced him. There will also be somebody else; but no body knows who that somebody is.

 

    2012 menu


email to Al Sullivan

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking control Aug. 2, 2012

Reflections of Coelho March 2, 2013

Forgiveness is not possible July 13, 2012