Is this a thaw? June 30, 2012

  

She was not at the bar when we got there last night. Almost nobody was.

Jay, however, gave me a rundown at what happened at the magazine party last week. Jay brought his new girlfriend and our owner got enamored with her, grilling Jay for more and more information about her.

I had just come from seeing “Rock of Ages,” which made me feel uncomfortable, and suggested just how out of touch I am (perhaps always have been) with the known universe.

I got the same feeling when I saw the off off Broadway play about ordinary housewives who start a garage band and make it big, the song “You can’t fuck them all,” sending chills through me.

I was in a better mood after the movie than when I went in but felt nervous about going to see Jay at the bar knowing it was possible, she might be there.

I guess I’m not as courageous as I let on to be.

I was more than a little relieved to find she wasn’t there after all.

I got a mild shock when I got home to find she had responded to an email with another press release I had sent late in the day, after she had left for the weekend.

Since she claims she didn’t have access to work emails at home, I suspect she must be with someone at the paper who does – maybe even the owner or possibly our former temporary boss since two Mondays ago, she took a rare sick day while he was also off on vacation.

Her email response said she was off and would not be able to cover the event but said I could cover it if I chose.

I emailed her back saying I would check with our recently returned from maternity leave boss to inform her I would cover it if I could.

I suppose I am presuming too much to think this might be a thaw in the chilly hostilities and we might once more get back to being simple work mates, returning to our professional relationship after the personal one went up in flames.

 

   2012 menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking control Aug. 2, 2012

Reflections of Coelho March 2, 2013

Who needs a man when she has Netflix? Sunday, February 8, 2013