A bottle of wine June 22, 2012

   

I suppose I should explain more clearly about the bottle of wine.

Yes, I put it on her desk as a peace offering, but only in response to an email she sent me at some point previously saying she needed a drink.

I emailed her back saying considering all that’s happened between us, meeting for a drink would be a bad idea. I said I’d leave her something instead.

I didn’t anticipate the suspicious looks I might get walking into the office with the bottle, especially from both receptionists, frowning not only at my appearance in the main office on any other day but Tuesday, but also at the bottle I clutched in my hands.

I told them it was an apology then rushed past them, put in on her desk, and left.

These hot and cold mixed messages makes me think that maybe she likes keeping me on edge, perhaps a not so subtle punishment for the bar thing and my posting of photos.

Mary Jane, my oldest and dearest friend, suggested this may be about control. By keeping me off balance, she sees herself more in control, when all I want is some kind of civil relationship, if not friendship.

The wine was supposed to be gesture of peace, a sign that perhaps we can get back to being work mates and put all the crap behind us.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work out that way. She saw the bottle and deposited on the cubby hole desk where I work on Tuesdays – as a clear indication she doesn’t want peace.

Then, as if to add to the confusion, she emailed me a story she was working on, and called to let me know she would be going to the publication party later.

I didn’t go. I heard later she left the party early.

 

 2012 menu


email to Al Sulliva

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking control Aug. 2, 2012

Reflections of Coelho March 2, 2013

Forgiveness is not possible July 13, 2012