A betrayal of trust July 13, 2012

  

Friday the thirteenth.

Didn’t we just have one of these? Maybe we bring about our own back luck, like I did last week when I emailed her to ask if my coming to the main office to work regularly would upset her.

This was not a completely honest gesture, but one designed to put a wedge between her and her chief supporter in the main office, a man who I still believe lied to me when it came to his relationship with her.

This was also a total betrayal of trust between me and him since I was well aware he wanted to keep our conversations about her between us.

But I also wanted the truth out there, to have us all aware of each other in this game of secrets, and perhaps shed some light on the trickling up she’s been doing, not just with our former temporary boss but with the owner on the third floor from whom she expects to get a raise.

In some ways all of this is predictable, a pattern of behavior that started long before she set foot in our office and will likely continue on long after she leaves.

I don’t like the idea of being a stepping stone for her.

I know she doesn’t like what I post on my poetry site, and I know that posting the poem “Union City” last week was pushing things a little too far.

She made it clear what our boundaries are when she forced me to take down the photograph she sent me of her hanging from her roof top,

In truth, I believe she has tried to keep things professional in the office – with a few lapses, for which our former temporary boss might have scolded her.

He seems to have become her primary advisor, though I’m not certain exactly how much he knew about me and her prior to my talk with him in the park.

These days I believe he is fully apprised. Which is another reason I sent the email to her, to make it clear that he is capable of keeping secrets from her as he is from me, telling her in that one brief message that he’s just like the rest of us.

It was a rotten thing to do, a scheme I came up with on the spur of the moment, followed up by an email to him to let him know what I had done.

Since he has not responded to any email sent concerning her, I was not concerned when I received no immediate reply.

When they reply came, it came via telephone, coming from both of them, my phone going crazy with their calls.

 

 2012 menu

 


email to Al Sullivan

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking control Aug. 2, 2012

Reflections of Coelho March 2, 2013

Who needs a man when she has Netflix? Sunday, February 8, 2013